This was Will's first foray into the canning world and it was quite successful! I think his eager participation was due in great part to our newest kitchen appliance, an apple peeler, corer slicer. In fact, when I told him I was going to post about making applesauce, his suggested title for the post was "Apple Corer, Peeler, Slicer: How I love thee, let me count the ways." It was amazing how quickly the project went not having to peel and slice (and core, you get it) apples. We finished much more quickly than I had planned and actually went to bed Friday night with a clean kitchen. I'm not sure I will know what to do when Will starts working again. It will be a sad day for me.
We ended up with several varieties of applesauce, 13 quarts in all - some pureed very finely for Liam, some a little chunkier for us and some with cinnamon. We were quite proud and the initial taste tests came back positive from all parties (Liam just tasted a little off my finger, but he loved it). While were at it, we also made seven quarts of apple pie. I feel a little like the ant in Aesop's fable of the ant and the grasshopper. I like knowing that we've stored away a bit of food storage that we canned.
4 comments:
I love your blog so much. Its so fun and you have the cutest little family
I'm glad you decided to do some canning even on the possibility of having to move it! Looks like it was a lot of fun and you got some awesome new tools that I'm sure you will use a lot in the years to come. I'm glad Liam is already such an awesome helper! :)
This is wonderful! I am proud of your hard work, and jealous of your tasty food storage.
Is that Liam in the tree? How fun. I am so proud of you and Will. Canning is a big project. Your results look wonderful. I am impressed with your homemaking skills and desire to store food for your little family. Thanks for sharing this day in your life. Liam looks so happy. He is blessed to have two wonderful parents.
Post a Comment